Saturday, April 11, 2015

Day 48

Today I set two records on my watch! I ran my fastest 5K and finished my longest run of 6 miles in 1 hour. After a week of gloomy misty days today was very much appreciated. 73 degrees, sunny with a slight breeze is much more fun to run in rather than 40 degrees, wind and misty rain.

Today I dedicated my run to something I am horrible at and always have been: patience. I remember growing up my mom always would tell me to be more patient with just about everything. I don't think I will ever be good at being patient, but at least now I understand that it is a necessary part of life. I know that God always has a plan and he knows what is best for me, but it can be frustrating when I can't see how the future will unravel. Right now I am struggling with having patience in finding an internship for the summer. Many places it is a waiting game for them to call you back, I have heard countless "We will let you know hopefully by the end of the week's" that I may lose my mind if I hear it again. I am very hopeful for one opportunity at the moment, I have been 'patiently' waiting since Tuesday for a call back. All I can do is wait and trust that there is a right time for everything.

By mile 4 of my run all physical hardships seemed to leave and I felt like I could keep at that pace for the next six hours if I needed to. It was an interesting experience that I have not had that early into a run yet, so instead of concentrating on form, breathing, and cadence, I started to let my mind wander. It brought back an article that I remember reading a couple months ago that I found online. The article was from a sons perspective as he sat talking with his father who was in the hospital dying (optimistic, right?) The son remembered his father telling him to not spend his life waiting for the future to get here and for the next big thing to come but to rather live in the present and appreciate the god given moments of life that otherwise may pass you by. It was a sad, but interesting article that relates back to being patient. If I am constantly waiting for tomorrow, a call, the semester to be over, this mile to be over, summer to be here, to move, to graduate, to start a big girl job, I may miss out on little moments of life in the here and now that make life so meaningful. My grandma Eileen always tells me to be careful with life because you'll blink and 50 years will go by. In high school I would laugh and shrug it off, but now I am close to graduating college and I feel like I haven't even blinked yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment